Monday, June 6, 2011

Remembering D-Day (June 6, 1944)

File:Omaha Beach Landing Craft.jpg



Sixty-seven years ago today, American, British, and Canadian forces stormed the beaches of Normandy in one of the biggest and most complicated invasions in history.  Seven years ago I had the privilege and honor of remembering those who had fallen, and honor those who were still alive that fought on that day.  On June 6, 2004 I accompanied our University's Band to Omaha Beach and performed at the ceremonies celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the D-Day invasion. 

 euro-t-guide.com euro-t-guide.com
The specific location we performed at was Pointe du Hoc (pictured above), which was where the Rangers scaled the 100ft cliffs, with ropes, while taking fire from the Germans on top.  Of the initial landing force of 225+ Rangers from the 2nd Ranger Battalion, only 90 survived the 2-day action.  The 5th Rangers were to land with the 2nd, but because of the delay of flares that were to signal the 5th Rangers to attack, they landed on Omaha Beach instead of Pointe du Hoc.  It is said that because of these added Rangers, a disastrous failure was averted. 
Pointe du Hoc is the same as it was 67 years ago, even though the artillery has been removed and the bunkers and pillboxes had the "windows" sealed up, but you can still walk inside them.  In 2004 we honored 9 of the Rangers who fought at that location, and I was blessed to have the opportunity to speak with them.  One Ranger was standing on top of a pillbox and was telling his story.  Apparently, that pillbox was one that he helped to clear out.  A woman asked him what it was like being there 60 years later.  He wept.  He stated that he couldn't understand why his life was spared.  Why he survived and many of his friends didn't even make it up the cliff.  I thanked him for his service, and my best friend and I did something that I will never forget.  Since Pointe du Hoc was left alone, the craters from the naval guns are still there (picture of person climbing out of one above).  My best friend was a marine and he wrote a message remembering and honoring those who died on that day, on his ceremonial cover ("Hat" for those who don't know) and we buried the cover in a crater.  I don't know if it is still there today, but I hope that it is, and I hope that it will remain there for all time. 
Being a military historian, standing on that ground was overwhelming.  It was the single greatest honor I've ever had, and at the same time, I was standing on ground that I consider sacred.  This was the ground where the world was saved.  Where the war changed.  Where our military stared adversity in the eye, and shoved it back with courage, ferocity, and blood.  Our tour bus took us to the cemetery that is seen in Saving Private Ryan, and you would be amazed as to how massive that place is.  They also opened up the path to the beach allowing us to run down the long winding path all the way to the sand.  At that moment, when my feet hit the sand, tears welled up in my eyes.  There is a sense of awe and glory when standing there.  To put yourself at that location 60 years before, is something that can't be explained. 
File:1944 NormandyLST.jpgThe men who died on that day sacrificed themselves to rid the world of tyranny and shall forever receive our gratitude.  The men who survived that day made it possible to carry on the mission of ending the war, and shall forever receive our gratitude now and after they have passed.  I will always remember, and I will never forget. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment