Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Birthday (A Day of History)

Today's my birthday.  You probably don't care, and that's fine.  For those of you who share my birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!
Now, what has happened in history on my birthday. 

Well there's the start of Oktoberfest in Germany.  This is true, the 17th of Sept. is the official start of Oktoberfest.  PROST to all of you. 

The US Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787 by the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.  The Constitution of this country is the second oldest in the world.  Well, written constitution that is.  We are still going strong. 

The Battle of Antietam happened on my birthday.  September 17, 1862 near Sharpsburg, MD.  It was the first major battle to take place on Northern soil, and was the bloodiest single-day battle in American history.  About 23,000 casualties. 

The Red Baron scored his first aerial kill on my birthday.  September 17, 1916 near Cambrai, France.

Operation Market Garden happened on my birthday.  September 17, 1944-September 25, 1944.  Allied forces were dropped into the Netherlands, more specifically Holland, in an attempt to seize bridges that went across the Meuse river and two sections of the Rhine.  Other bridges were over smaller canals.  Was a total operational failure, and resulted with the loss of 15,000-17,000 casualites for the Allies and only 6,000-13,000 casualties for the Germans. 

SO, Happy Birthday to all of you who share this day with me, and Happy Education to those who hopefully learned something.  Maybe I'll take each event and write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment